Emma Bragdon, PhD.
Founder/ Executive Director of
Integrative Mental Health for You
- IMHU provides online courses for health professionals, students and the general public about the full range of effective options for managing mental health and optimizing well-being. It is not supported by special interests or lobbies. IMHU has 20 faculty–all experts in the field of integrative mental health. IMHU hosts a Certification Course for “Spiritual Emergence Coaches” as well as a roster of courses for continuing education in that arena. IMHU also has a growing roster of courses on “Integrative Mental Health”.
Integrative mental health takes a very cautious approach to the use of any psychiatric drugs, and turns to diagnostics and treatment based on approaches such as psychological and social support, adequate nutrition and life style choices. Spiritual practices such as meditation, prayer, yoga, as well as finding meaning and purpose in life are considered vital to optimal wellness. Click here to learn more…
- Guides trips for health professionals to visit Spiritist Centers and Spiritist Psychiatric Hospitals in Brazil and learn from the spiritual healers and psychiatrists who collaborate there in a very effective form of healing. Click here to learn more..
- Gives presentations to schools, universities, churches and other organizations on the topic of Brazil’s Spiritism, Spiritual Emergency, and Integrative Mental Healthcare. Click here to learn more…
- Coaches by phone or skype to clients around the world. Click here to learn more…
- Writes articles, chapters for textbooks, and books. Dr. Bragdon has published 7 books — Six of them are now available as e-books as well as soft-cover. The online bookstore is located here: http://astore.amazon.com/emmabragdonco-20
*The Foundation for Energy Therapies,” is the umbrella org for IMHU. It is a charitable, not for profit, corporation, designated a 501c3 by the IRS. Our mission is to explore and document the positive potentials of spiritual healing and energy medicine through research in countries outside the USA, clinical work, and international publication. http://www.spiritualalliances.com/foundation.html
Dr Bragdon is deeply grateful for the support she has received from various foundations, such as the Marion Institute, the Rudolf Steiner Foundation, the Lloyd Symington Foundation, and generous individual philanthropists like Laurance Rockefeller. This outpouring of support has allowed her to do field work, write books and produce films. The Marion Institute has been particularly supportive.
Academic and Practical Training
- PhD in Transpersonal Psychology from the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology, (recently renamed “Sophia University”).
- Advanced training in Process-Oriented Psychotherapy, Neo-Reichian Therapy, Breathwork, past-life regression, BioEnergy Therapy (Domancic Method), and developing intuition.
Professional Work Experience
- Founder/ Director of Foundation for Energy Therapies, Inc, a charitable, educational foundation DBA IMHU
- Founder/Director of Integrative Mental Health for You, IMHU.org
- Teacher of online courses at IMHU and facilitator of live workshops on themes related to spiritual emergence, spirituality and integrative mental health.
- Since 1988 private practice as a Marriage, Family & Child psychotherapist licensed in California. Now in private practice in Vermont as a coach/consultant/mentor.
- Volunteer for 7 years at the Spiritual Emergence Network, SEN, edited their newsletter and initiated and was Founding Editor of the “Journal of the Spiritual Emergence Network”, 1984-1991. SEN is a not for profit, all volunteer organization.
- 13 years teaching 9-day trainings to accelerate spiritual growth, “ The Avatar Course™”
- 16 years as a spiritual guide conducting tours to Brazil
- Executive Producer of two ground-breaking documentary films on spiritual healing in Brazil
- Acclaimed author of seven published books. The first two of these books are classics in establishing the field of Spiritual Emergence and Emergency.
- A Sourcebook for Helping People in Spiritual Emergency (1988)
- The Call of Spiritual Emergency (1990)
Spiritual Teachers (since 1964)
- In Buddhism: Graf Karlfried von Durkheim, Philip Kapleau, Shunryu Suzuki Roshi, Sogyal Rinpoche, the Dalai Lama
- In Amer-Indian Tradition: Harry Roberts (Yurok) and Marilyn Youngbird (Lakota)
- In Brazilian Spiritism: many Spiritist leaders in Brazil
- Self-Realization Fellowship: following Paramahansa Yogananda
“My father was an MD, pathologist, professor at Harvard Medical School, editor of the Journal of Lipid Research, and researcher at the National Institutes of Health. He taught me perseverance, attention to detail and the joy of research. My mother was a visiting nurse. She taught me compassion and the joy of being of service to others. They both loved to laugh, dance, and spend time in nature. Music was a big part of our lives.”
“I enjoy meditation, yoga, kayaking, hiking, swimming, horseback riding, writing and singing. I love being with my son, his wife, and their kids and my lively circle of friends. I live in Vermont and am grateful for a million blessings in my life!”